The Magic Spice

Welcome to my food blog. Here, you can follow me on a journey in my kitchen and into restaruants around the States, and hopefully, around the world.

Please feel free to share recipes and thoughts!

Thursday, September 9, 2010

To Tartar or Not to Tartar...

It seems to be my luck that I cannot, for the life of me, make a custard pie. I have tried two different methods and it always turns to soup.
Upon the last time of making a custard pie, lemon meringue, I boiled the custard on the stove top as directed, then baked the pie and let it completely cool to set. Set, it did not. I thought maybe chilling it in the fridge over night would make it set. I went to bed confident it would be set in the morning.
When I learned my aunt and uncle were dropping by unexpectedly from Wisconsin I was excited to see them. I told my uncle about my pie and his eyes lit up. Lemon meringue is his favorite! I trotted out to fridge, only to find lemon vichyssoise with floating meringue.
In a slight panic, because I wanted so badly for him to enjoy my pie, I needed to find a way to make this custard set, and fast. I scooped the meringue off the top with a spatula, like a pancake, whipped some heavy cream and sugar together, and poured the filling into the whipped cream. Strike one. It deflated like a popped tire.
I decided to add more cream to the 'whipped' filling and beat the heck of it with my hand-held beater. Strike two. I wasn't getting stiff peaks.
Getting frustrated, I remembered that I had used a pinch of cream of tartar in the egg whites to make them fool-proof stiff. I dashed to my cupboard and gradually added about two teaspoon to the mix, until it was stiff enough and viola, home run!
The pie still had a wonderful lemon flavor even after I mixed in about a cup of heavy cream.
Lesson learned. If you also struggle with custard pies, try this if you're in a pinch.
Another idea is to serve the filling as a 'pudding' and pile lots of whipped cream on top. Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment